Re: Linux Functionality?

On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 13:57 -0500, Ryan D'Baisse wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:48:24 -0600, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> > Debian is not Linux.
> >

> Okay, I'm confused.  Does Debian not use the Linux kernel?
>
> Not trying to be rude... I'm a newbie (still downloading Debian).

They're arguing semantics here... :)

This all kind of comes back to the old Linux vs. GNU/Linux debate. Ok,
as I'm bored, I'll ela-BORE-ate. :)

Linux - the kernel originally written by Linus Torvalds

GNU - the collection of tools that make up the OPERATING SYSTEM (which
is in this case based on the Linux kernel)

Debian - a distribution which uses the Linux kernel with the GNU OS
tools and a whole bunch of associated userland applications

In the case of Windows we have:

Windows - the kernel (ntkrnl)

Windows - the collection of tools that make up the OPERATING SYSTEM
(which in this case is based on the Windows kernel)

Windows - a distribution which uses the Windows kernel with the Windows
OS tools and a much smaller bunch of associated userland applications

Then, finally, we have 'outside' programs. Programs which aren't
officially recognized as a part of either distribution. In the case of
Debian these are programs which aren't in the official repository. In
the case of Windows, these are all the programs which aren't included in
a basic Windows installation (including things like Winamp, Mozilla,
Photoshop, etc.).

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837