Re: {advocay] Linspire machine

On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 10:46:12AM -0500, JohnOfArc wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 00:01:12 -0500, stan wrote:
>
> > I bought a machine with Linspire preloaded on it today. Nice machien, and
> > cheaper than I could build it. A bit short on RAM, and the CD is a reader
> > only (no CD writer or DVD). But great value for the $299.
> >
> > Reading through the manual that comes with it, I find no information as to
> > how to use the preloaded software, but quite a bit of nformation relative
> > to wiping it and installing various flabors of M$ OS'es.
> >
> we may not like it, but the overwhelming majority of desktop users run MS,
> and most folks probably have a few copies floating around

True, but most of those copies, in my experience, are not legitimite
purchased copies. Remeber the M% license forbids moving your copy from
one machine to another.

> > Here's my concern. It appears that the promary intent of this is not to
> > encourage the new users that might buy this amchine to learn to use
> > Linux, but instead a way to sell them a machine W/O the M% tax, and
> > encourage them to load a pirated copy of a M$ OS on it.
> >
> if that was the motive, why go to the trouble of installing *anything*? By
> your logic, all non-Windows-preinstalled boxes are similarly suspect. But
> perhaps I don't have enough info:
>
> 1. is there a law in your jurisdiction requiring preinstallation of an OS?

Don't know.

> 2. does Fry'$ have a policy prohibiting sale of bare-bones systems (no OS
> included)? If yes, there's FreeDOS & Debian (probably Ubuntu <g>)

Ti the best of my knowledge, the only way to buy an asembeled system
from them WO Os would be to buy the components, and pay thier asembly
fee. I don't beleove that they have any pre asembled OS less machines.
if they do they are not displayed, or in the adds.

> 3. is there a proprietary feature of Lin$pire which lends itself to
> pirating commercial software?

No.

> 4. what was the Lin$pire tax, IOW, could you have purchased the same setup
> for less sans Lin$pire (not necessarily at Fry'$)? (also see #2). If you
> believe Lin$pire was "free", perhaps you should inform Lin$pire of your
> suspicions

True, I supsect installing it has a small  but non zero cost. Althoguh I
beleive that thier primary revenue stream derives from the Click and Run
licenseing of add on programs.

> 5. <Perry Mason voice> is it not true, stan, that Lin$pire desktop
> comes with "online help at you fingertips"?</Perry Mason voice>

Truem and it rates a one line mention in tham manual. Which has several
pages on wiping linspire, and installing various windoze versions. Each
one of which also has an online help link.

> (hint- lower left of 1'st image)
>
> http://images.linspire.com/losshot-big.gif
>
> http://images.linspire.com/screenshots/ss_tutorial1_big.jpg
>
> 6. doesn't Fry'$ also sell commercial software? Why would it be in their
> best self-interest to promote pirating?

As long as it sells hardware I think they are happy. The people thta buy
comercial software are not going to change their wasy.