Help allocating RAM to video card

Hello all,

I have an old IBM Aptiva that has an onboard ATI chip
with a measly 2MB of video RAM. This is enough for me
to run X with a resolution of 800x600, but no more.
I'd like to try to push it to a higher resolution, but
the Xserver complains that it doesn't have enough
memory and drops down to 800x600.

lspci reports this for my chipset:

0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI
Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X (rev 5c) (prog-if
00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Pro Turbo
AGP
        Flags: bus master, VGA palette snoop,
stepping, medium devsel, latency 32
        Memory at 81000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
[size=16M]
        I/O ports at 8000 [size=256]
        Memory at 80400000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
[size=4K]
        Expansion ROM at 80420000 [disabled]
[size=128K]
        Capabilities: [50] AGP version 1.0

So I'd like to allocate some RAM to Video. I tried
entering that option in XF86Config-4, as follows:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Technologies, Inc. 3D
Rage Pro AGP 1X"
        Driver          "ati"
        VideoRam        32768
EndSection

That had no effect. top still reports all of my RAM,
and the Xserver won't go above 800x600.

My BIOS has no discernible way to force RAM to video.
Anyone have any thoughts or clues?

Thanks,

rc