Re: wireless pcmcia card

On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 12:11 +0100, Dani Belz wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 01:57:45 -0800 (PST)
> Olive Esseret <olive_esseret@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I consider to purchase a wireless PCMCIA network card
> > for my laptop (toshiba Satellite A40-261). On the box,
> > the supported OS are only Win.... Does they cards
> > generally work on Linux? Do I need to pay special
> > attention on the card I will purchase? A friend of me
> > has tell me that these cards are fairly standard and
> > should run out of the box, is it true?
>
> Hi!
>
> Hm... Not quite sure if he's right. Most of them work but "out of the
> box"? I got a Netgear WG511 and it works like a charm. But I had to
> patch the kernel to get support for the prism chipset
> (http://prism54.org). And I had to get the firmware and make it load via
> hotplug. Took me some time to set up but there was a good tutorial on
> the site.
>
> grZ
> Dani
I've also got 2 of these cards, once it was up and running it was
fanastic, the only issue i had with it not running was the router.
So its highly recommended

Cheers
| -Glyn Tebbutt                                        |
| http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d3c3it/d3c3it.gpg       |
| "Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. |
| The lesson is, never try." - Homer J Simpson         |