Re: Linux Functionality?

On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 16:46 +1100, Sam Watkins wrote:
> For example, windows XP and Max OS X have a user-interface for switching
> between multiples users' desktops.  We don't have such an interface in
> Debian / under X as far as I know, but it possible to do the same sort
> of thing from the command line, it's just that no one has gone to the
> trouble to make a "click-and-drool" way to do this yet ;)

What about chooser (you only have to turn on XDMCP for localhost)
that'll fit the bill.

What about gdmflexiserver, I can have as many "users" desktops at the
same time, as I want.

In the Debian Menu Hierarchy:
        Debian Menu -> Apps -> System -> GDM Flexiserver

even in a Nested login:
        Debian Menu -> Apps -> System -> GDM Flexiserver in Xnest

In the GNOME Menu on a Debian System:
	Applications -> System Tools -> New Login

even in a Nested window too:
        Applications -> System Tools -> New Login in a Nested Window

GDMFLEXISERVER(8)          Debian GNU/Linux            GDMFLEXISERVER(8)

NAME
       gdmflexiserver - start a GDM session using the GDM flexible
server mechanism, or in Xnest

SYNOPSIS
       gdmflexiserver GNOME options  gdmflexiserver options

DESCRIPTION
       The flexi server mechanism allows to run GDM sessions on demand,
in a new virtual console. The administrator can define multiple server
configurations, using alternate X servers, or different options, in the
gdm.conf file, and gdmflexiserver will present you with a menu, where
you will be asked to choose between those server configurations marked
with flexible=true.

       Alternatively, the --xnest option allows you to run a new session
in an Xnest(1) window.

OPTIONS
       In addition to the common Gtk and GNOME options, gdmflexiserver
accepts the following options:

        -c command, --command=command
                Send the specified protocol command to gdm

        -n, --xnest
                Xnest mode

        -l, --no-lock
                Do not lock current screen

        -d, --debug
                Debugging output

        -a, --authenticate
                Authenticate before running --command

SEE ALSO
	gdm(8), Xnest(1).

AUTHORS
	gdmflexiserver is part of the GDM software package, which is part of
the GNOME project. This manpage was written by Yann Dirson
<dirson@debian.org> for the Debian system, but may be used by others.

GNOME 2.6       2004-08-21

Sheesh, people... Where do you *THINK* they got the FRICKING IDEA?
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux