Re: Debian vs. Fedora on Laptops

Sam / Thomas,

Thanks for taking the time to provide such a detailed response.  I
really appreciate it.

I attempted to install a copy of Ubuntu on a Mac-based VirtualPC
yesterday.  The results were not so good.  I think I will attempt to
do a straight Debian install on a PC-based VMWare machine today.  If
that goes well, I'll probably remove FC2 for Debian.

For what it's worth, my goal is to understand, and use, enough of the
OS to (1) code for it using C/C++ and (2) to try my hand at building
an internet appliance.  I WAS going to use Fedora and a Red Hat based
base system, but if I run into obstacles on a daily basis with Fedora,
I won't be able to keep it as my desktop OS.  Likewise, if I cannot
keep it as my desktop OS, then I probably will not be comfortable
enough with the OS to finally do what I want to with it.

Thanx,
Ryan