Re: Debian on SATA HD

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004, dorn hetzel wrote:
> I should have also said that all of my SATA disks are organized
> into md raid devices and that's what I ran into trouble booting
> from.  I've been told it can be done, I just had the PATA drive

It can be done easily, if:
  1. you have everything (SATA driver and md/lvm drivers) statically built
  2. you change your initrd accordingly.

mdadm can be used to reassemble the raid device without any fuss or errors,
so that the kernel mounts it automatically (if you're not using initrd).

> On a side note, with a raid0 stripe across the PATA and 4*SATA
> raptors, I'm getting sustained 240+ megabytes/second read and
> write :) Makes for a very nice /tmp ...

Sure.  But I opted to add 1GB of RAM and use tmpfs for /tmp, instead.
Much faster, and 0 seek times :)

With 4 SATA, you could also have RAID10 for better data-safety. It won't be
as fast, but it will be fast enough.  And it is quite easy to do if you use
LVM, since you can have LVM do the stripping and md do the RAID1 (or, if you
know what you're doing re. initrd, you can have lvm do it all).

  Henrique Holschuh