Re: Debian on SATA HD

On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 12:31:49AM +0200, roy wrote:

> I'm going to buy a SATA HD dedicated for Debian (out of IDE connections and
> the HD's are always full).
>
> I've never installed Debian (or linux) before, just wanted to make sure this
> is going to work (as for as the HD's concerned)...
> Has anyone done this before or can confirm SATA should not be a problem?

Using a Abit AA8 motherboard, with the onboard SATA controller,
I encountered significant dificulties in installing to a SATA
boot disk running in the native high performance mode.  I think
that it would be no trouble in the compatability mode where it
basically pretends to be a PATA disk, but I wanted the max
performance (The disks under full SATA mode look like sort of
like SCSI disks to the system, showing up as /dev/sda, etc.)

I wound up using a PATA boot disk and just use the 4 SATA
disks after booting.  When I have more time, I do hear it's
possible to get a booting kernel built that will come up
on the native SATA disks...

Best Regards!

-Dorn