Re: Debian sid and "risk management"

On Dec 25 2004, Bob Alexander wrote:
> Of course you should not "trust" packages which have just appeared since
> they will most probably never have crit bugs. Correct ? For instance the
> LVM2 and HAL examples I was making appeared a few hours agon on the
> mirror I use.

Just hang on a second! If you are so afraid of breaking your system, you
should not be using sid, but using testing instead.

With testing, you have relatively recent software and you are "protected"
by the "barrier" of the testing scripts, that only let a package get into
testing if things are reasonably consistent. You can even use apt-pinning
for grabbing something from unstable in the rare event that you need
something from there.

But, IMVHO, every user that depends on some stability and, for some reason,
needs newer packages than those in stable, should use testing instead, not
sid. This way, you are helping the Debian community by seeing if testing is
in a "releasable" state (which is the intention, anyway).

Of course, if you don't *need* stability, then go ahead and use sid. And
file the bugs that you encounter, perhaps preventing the package from
floating to testing.

Just my 2 cents, Rogério Brito.

--
Learn to quote e-mails decently at: