Re: Debian sid and "risk management"

On Saturday 25 December 2004 12:45 pm, Bob Alexander wrote:
<snip>
> It will warn of critical bugs pending on each of the files to be
> downloaded.
>
> Is that it ?

According to
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/admin/apt-listbugs

"apt-listbugs is a tool which retrieves bug reports from the Debian Bug
Tracking System and lists them. Especially, it is intended to be invoked
before each upgrade/installation by apt in order to check whether the
upgrade/installation is safe.

Many developers and users prefer the unstable version of Debian for its new
features and packages. apt, the usual upgrade tool, can break your system by
installing a buggy package.

apt-listbugs lists critical bug reports from the Debian Bug Tracking System.
Run it before apt to see if an upgrade or installation is known to be
unsafe."

I use it myself on my laptop that runs Sid, which I use for my business, to
check to see if there's anything major I need to know before I upgrade
anything. It runs automatically whenever I run apt-get upgrade. It's saved my
butt more than once.

--

...Rob
Return address is obfuscated.