Re: USB cardreader

Apparently, _jeff elkins_, on 25/12/04 09:06,typed:
Merry Christmas, List!

I've built a new sid-based system (kernel 2.6.9) and I'm having a bit of trouble with the attached usb cardreader.

It's recognized at boot:

usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using address 2
Vendor: DMI       Model: MultiFlash        Rev: 3.00
Type:   Direct-Access   ANSI SCSI revision: 02

But unless I boot with cards inserted, the devices I need (sda1,sdc1) are not created. Additionally, once mounted they refuse to unmount with a
'device busy.'

I probably missed something in my setup, thanks for any help.

Jeff Elkins

I have a USB card reader that is detected alright but I have to have a card in a slot to get that detected too. The problem is that the card reader hardware makes itself detectable to a USB port but doesn't give any information when a card is inserted. So that card insertion totoally hidden from hotplug. It works onlyif you have a card inside the reader already before plugging it in the USB port.

My solution was to make a mount point that I use after I insert the card in one of the slots. YMMV.

However, if you card does notify the system when a new card is inserted and your system still doen't know about a new card, then something is wrong somewhere.

->HS