Re: USB cardreader

On Saturday 25 December 2004 3:19 pm, H. S. wrote:
> Apparently, _jeff elkins_, on 25/12/04 09:06,typed:
> > Merry Christmas, List!
> >
> > I've built a new sid-based system (kernel 2.6.9) and I'm having a bit of
> > trouble with the attached usb cardreader.
> >
> > It's recognized at boot:
> >
> > usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using address 2
> > scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
> > Vendor: DMI       Model: MultiFlash        Rev: 3.00
> > Type:   Direct-Access   ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> >
> > But unless I boot with cards inserted, the devices I need (sda1,sdc1)
> > are not created. Additionally, once mounted they refuse to unmount with a
> > 'device busy.'
> >
> > I probably missed something in my setup, thanks for any help.
> >
> > Jeff Elkins
>
> I have a USB card reader that is detected alright but I have to have a
> card in a slot to get that detected too. The problem is that the card
> reader hardware makes itself detectable to a USB port but doesn't give
> any information when a card is inserted. So that card insertion totoally
> hidden from hotplug. It works onlyif you have a card inside the reader
> already before plugging it in the USB port.
>
> My solution was to make a mount point that I use after I insert the card
> in one of the slots. YMMV.
>
> However, if you card does notify the system when a new card is inserted
> and your system still doen't know about a new card, then something is
> wrong somewhere.
>
> ->HS

I used that strategy with my previous system. Point /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdc1
to /cfcard and /sdcard in fstab and mount away.  No longer.

I found out I can run cfdisk /dev/sda and cfdisk /dev/sdc, then /dev/sda1 and
dev/sdc1 are created. Then I can mount and unmount. So, somehow, something is
screwed. I built this system from scratch with sarge netinstall and apt, so
I've probably left something out...

Jeff