Ssarge Upgrade-Lilo: FATAL

Have installed and removed Kernel-Image-2.6.8-1-686 several times to get around a lilo fatal error. I see either: Fatal: Default image doesn't exist, when I use my old lilo.conf for v.2.4.18-bf2.4 and I've now lost boot-menu.b. Or when using the new image I see: FATAL: vmlinux doesn't exist or initrd.img doesen't exist. I do have boot.0300 in /boot. Can anyone help me to fix this? I've been trying for 3 months to get a fully functioning system and everytime I upgrade or update something goes wrong. Woody was working ok before the last kernel-image install with apt-get but now can't boot.

Other info:
1. On a previous install of new image I used mkinitrd and it allowed sarge to boot up but everything was broke except terminals. The mkinitrd never completed without error and called up the option menu. I have read the man mkinitrd and it seems definitely revelent but how to use it not clear. 2. Ran fsck without unmounting and maybe that was a mistake. Made lots of changes saying bad inodes and such. I don't really think anything was wrong with the file system but fsck did. 3. The last of the output from `apt-get install` was a warning about installing a lilo block if you had another operating system installed. I answered no several times, without helping, and then said yes to see if it might fix things. It didn't. 4. As above, asked me if If wanted to install a new lilo.conf and said no several times, then said yes to see if it would fix. I didn't. 5. At no time did the configuration set up the symlink for the new default linux kernel image. Had to do it manually. That didn't help either, even when the links weren't bad. 6. Read several postings on this issue at Debian and via Google searches. Nothing I tried has worked.

I'm not subscribed, please copy me at lenc@ruralcomm.com.

Thanks for any help and wish you all a merry Christmass and happy New Year,
Leonard Chatagnier