Re: resolvconf + pdnsd on a laptop

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 14:10:07 +0100, James Leifer wrote:
> Now I want to use pdnsd to cache dns queries.  To do this, I need to
>
> * keep my /etc/resolv.conf constant (nameserver 127.0.0.1);
>
> * and get resolvconf to push changes directly to pdnsd (by calling
>   pdnsd-ctl).

Resolvconf works properly with pdnsd out of the box, although not exactly
as you just described.  Just install both packages and they will work
together.

Details:

When pdnsd is started with its initscript it adds 127.0.0.1 as a
nameserver address; pdnsd answers DNS queries at this address.  Resolvconf
lists this address in resolv.conf as the first nameserver address to use.
Applications that use the libc resolver library therefore consult
127.0.0.1 first.  (Additional nameserver addresses listed in resolv.conf
will be consulted by applications only if 127.0.0.1 doesn't answer within
a timeout period.  Usually this doesn't happen.)

I.e., resolv.conf does not have to be static when pdnsd is in use.  The
important thing is that 127.0.0.1 be the first nameserver address listed.

Resolvconf updates pdnsd's list of nameservers via a pdnsd-ctl command in
/etc/resolvconf/update.d/pdnsd.

--
Thomas Hood