Re: Newbie Xserver problem with ATI Mach64 and Woody

On Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 07:12:17PM -0800, Syed Huq wrote:
> It Worked !!
> Downloaded the xserver-mach4 using apt.
>
> Last question, how do I toggle between the various resolution modes.
> Right now, it's set to 640X480 and I want to toggle to the 1024X768

1. make sure the right resolutions are listed in your
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, in the "Screen" section you should have
something like this for each colour depth:

	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		16
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection

your preferred resolution should come first.

2. start X, it should come up in 1024x768.  if not, your video card or
monitor frequencies aren't configured right

3. you can zoom in and out with ctrl-alt-keypad_plus and
ctrl-alt-keypad_minus.  This isn't proper resizing, though.

4. there is a program called "xrandr" which can resize the display
properly, and even rotate it, I can't get it to work at the moment.

I think there's some GUI to do it in gnome too.