Re: Newbie Xserver problem with ATI Mach64 and Woody

Syed Huq wrote:
> Hi David,
>

>>>Then I changed to Depth of 8 and get this error:
>>>(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice, No such device
>>>(EE) Generic Mouse: Cannot open input device
>>>(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse".
>>
>>Try reconfiguring xserver-xfree86 and changing the mouse device to /dev/psaux if
>>you have a PS/2 mouse.
>

> Only when I change the Depth to 8 does this Mouse issue crop up. All
> along, the mouse settings were at /dev/psaux for a PS/2 mouse. I did
> not change them.
'(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice, No such device' says
that you have it configured for /dev/input/mice, which should work with a 2.6
kernel, but probably not with 2.2 or 2.4.

The reason why you only get the mouse error when the depth is 8 is probably
because X loads the video drivers before the mouse drivers and any depth other
than 8 makes the video driver fail, so you get that error instead.

>>># dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>>
>>You have to run dexconf to generate the config file every time you run
>>dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86.
>

> As per your suggestion, I ran dexconf after each dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xfree86
> still no change.
>
> Depth of 24 and 16 shows up as the (EE) message of Driver can''t
> support depth 24(or16)
>
> Do I need to download a specific xserver for this ATI Mach64 ?
> When I do a , dpkg -l | grep xserver
> I get:
> xserver-common
> xserver-xfree8
I did an apt-cache search and found xserver-mach64 which might help (I've never
used the Mach64 before).

--

David Mandelberg
mandelbergd@eth0.is-a-geek.org