Re: Configuring sound in Sarge

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:47:21 +0000 (UTC)
Felixk Karpfen wrote:

> I would welcome a pointer to relevant configure documentation that will
> help to identify and correct the problem on my successfully(?)-installed
> Debian Sarge.

Hi.  I don't know if you've solved this problem yet, but I don't see any
replies, so I'll say a couple of things that may be useful.

> The following extracts of the current state of affairs on my box may
> help:
>

> ,----[ sounds.txt ]-
> | Entries from "dmesg".
> | -------------------
> | i810: SiS 7012 found at IO 0x9000 and 0x9400, MEM 0x0000 and 0x0000,
> IRQ 193| i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels.
> | i810_audio: Defaulting to base 2 channel mode.
> | i810_audio: Resetting connection 0
> | ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: ADS112 (Unknown)
> | i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0 supports AMAP, total channels = 6

These messages indicate that you've loaded and are running OSS drivers
rather than ALSA.  Is that what you want?

> | Testing the installed setup
> | ---------------------------
> |
> | play /usr/share/sounds/pop.wav
> | playing /usr/share/sounds/pop.wav
> | sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Device or resource busy

This indicates that some other program is runnin which has grabbed
/dev/dsp and is holding it open.  Example:  the esd audio daemon/mixer
used by gnome, requiring all audio output to go through it unless you
configure it properly.  You can use the "fuser" command (read its man
page to see how to use it) to see what process is using /dev/dsp.

-c

P.S.  Just so you know, your email to the list is coming out with a
"Reply-To:" header with your address on it.  As a result, if someone
replies to your message and is not careful, it'll go directly to you
rather than to the list.  Since we want problem-solving exchanges to
go to the list so that they're available in the archives for anyone
who has the same problem in the future, you might wanna change that.
Not required to, but you might want to.

		(remove "snip-me." to email)