Re: Ugrading just 1 Distribution in Debian howto

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 06:15:36PM +0530, Siju George wrote:
> So I went to the subversion mailinglist and posted this problem and
> they gave me two urls which I added into my source list
> deb http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
> deb http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/debian-non-US/ stable/non-US main
> contrib non-free
>
> and when I give
>
> #apt-get install subversion
>
> debian says "I have the latest version installed already?

did you run `apt-get update` first?

> The problem is I don't know how to compile from source :))

well, it's a useful thing to know!

download some .tgz source program, and read the INSTALL file in it.

The basic general thing to do is:

tar xzf foo.tgz
cd foo
./configure
make
make install

That will usually put the program in /usr/local.

If the program you want to build is in Debian already, you can use
apt-get source foo, and debuild from the devscripts package, or use
apt-build.  I don't know about installing something from a different
release though.

I just read an article about apt-build, it looks really good,
check it out :)

  http://julien.danjou.info/article-apt-build.html