Re: Ugrading just 1 Distribution in Debian howto

Hi David,

Thankyou somuch for your reply :)

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:41:22 +0000, David Dorward <dorward@gmail.com> wrote:
> Siju George wrote:
> > I run Debian Woody 3.0r2
> > with the 1.0 version of subversion.
>
> According to a packages search[1], subversion doesn't exist in Woody,
> therefore you are presumably running a version from either an unofficial
> apt source, or a version you compiled yourself.

Yes David! thats true :))

> > I would like to upgrade Subversion alone form version 1.0 to 1.1.
> >
> > Could someone please tell me how I can do this without upgrading the
> > whole System?
>
> Find out how you installed it the first time, and repeat the process
> with a newer version.

I installed at the first time giving

#apt-get install subversion

The contents of the "sources.list" file at that time was

--------------------------
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main

deb http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ stable main
deb-src http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ stable main
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main

deb http://packages.dotdeb.org ./

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://people.debian.org/~adconrad woody subversion

SO I got only subversion 1.0 installed

When I went to the download of Site of Subversion at

http://subversion.tigris.org/project_packages.html

It said that the best version is 1.1.2 and development in the 1.0 line
is not active now :)

So I went to the subversion mailinglist and posted this problem and
they gave me two urls which I added into my source list
deb http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/debian-non-US/ stable/non-US main
contrib non-free

and when I give

#apt-get install subversion

debian says "I have the latest version installed already?

what should I do?

> If you installed from an unofficial apt source and
> that source doesn't have 1.1 available, then you should look at
> uninstalling it and building your own binary from source (and ideally
> making a .deb from it to make it easy for you to manage).

The problem is I don't know how to compile from source :))

Thankyou so much for helping me out :))
Do you have other comments on this particular situation?

Kind Regards

Siju