Re: Script to build system information. Guru needed :)

on Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 04:25:57PM -0600, J.A. de Vries (hdv@jadev.org) wrote:
> On 2004-12-21 @ 18:30:35 (week 52) Bob Alexander wrote:
>
> > Slowly building my "disaster assurance" strategy on top of the file backups.
> >
> > Amongst other things I want to periodically run a shell script that
> > would build a file with useful information. Here it is:
> >
> > lsmod
> > lspci
> > dpkg --get-selections
> > sudo fdisk -l /dev/hda
> > df
> > uname -a
> >
> > Now the questions:
> >
> > 1) Other useful commands I am not thinking about ?
> > 2) I would like to redirect the output to a file called with the
> > catenation of 'uname -n'.'uname -r'.config.YYYYMMDDHHMM.txt where
> > YYYYMMDDHHMM is a timestamp of the command execution time. How do I
> > obtain such value ? How do I create the required backticks on my laptop
> > keyboard (no separate numpad)
> > 3) If I use cron to run this everyday, being this a laptop client, will
> > the due command be executed if it's natural time has expired ?
> > 4) What is the easiest way to keep the last N versions of such files ?
>
> Search Google for a script called system-info by Karsten M. Self. He
> posted it a long time ago, but it still is very useful. Start from there
> and add the things you want to have that are not already done by it.

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/Main/LinuxSystemInfoScript

There's also a Debian package, IIRC 'si', which gleans data out of /proc
and other sources.

For those with access to The Lesser OS, there's a utility called Belarc
which provides a generous amount of system information:

    www.belarc.com/free_download.html

The hardware inventory is particularly comprehensive, including such
things as the chassis serial number, memory type, CPU information, and a
comprehensive list of software.  Working some of that information into a
GNU/Linux utility would be tres cool.

Peace.

   Integrity, we've heard of it:  http://www.theregister.co.uk/