Re: KDE Arts and JACK

On Tuesday 21 Dec 2004 21:39, christian.schoenebeck@epost.de wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to configure KDE's sound system ARTS to use the JACK
> Audio Connection Kit. It works fine if I launch JACK manually and
> then after that change the ARTS setttings (in KDE's Control
> Center) to use JACK, but I was not able to get ARTS launch JACK
> automatically when KDE is started.
>
> Has anybody already managed this to work? Or is this maybe a bug
> in ARTS' JACK support? Because my system is already configured to
> start JACK automatically when an arbitrary client / app tries to
> connect and use it via libjack and JACK is not started already.
>
> (I'm using KDE 3.2.3 from Sarge)
>
> Regards,
> Christia

> http://www.epost.de - das Kommunikationsportal der Deutschen Post

Hi,

Since no one has answered your question, I thought I would give it a shot.

To get KDE to run things on start up. you should put them in
~/.kde/Autostart/ (or something like it) so if you have a shell script
like:

#/bin/sh
jackd #or whatever the jack daemon is called

it then should run on startup of kde. For course, if artsd starts before
your script runs, then you would have to kill it and start it again. You
can do that with the following shell script:

#/bin/sh

kill `ps ax | grep "artsd" | head -1 | cut -d" " -f1`
jackd
artsd

hope this helps

Pete