Re: And Now for My Next Frustration - The Printer

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 12:06:55AM -0800, Scarletdown wrote:
> I just tried that, and it still isn't working.  I don't know what else
> to try.  I know the printer, cable, and connection are good, because
> earlier, I booted up Mepis and tested everything, and the printer worked
> perfectly.  Any other suggestions?

What .PPD file are you using?
You can generate a .PPD for your exact printer Driver and PrinterID
using foomatic-ppdfile.  When I use the HP PPD which ships with cups I
don't think it worked.  Go to linuxprinting.org and see what your
printerID is; your driver will be hpijs.

For instance, I run:
foomatic-datafile -d hpijs -p HP-PSC_750 > \
  /usr/share/cups/model/HP-PSC_750.ppd

Also run `dpkg-reconfigure hpoj` and make sure you have something
like mlc: as a printer device.

Then when you set up the printer pick that queue and the right
PPD.

You'll probably say "I already did this" but be very careful
you actually have.  All your answers have been of the form
"I did all that and it still doesn't work."  The instructions
we are giving you are what you need to do.

Also you may have found a bug.  Read bug reports and look
for workarounds.

Perhaps you should say exactly what you are doing, in great
detail, in Debian as well as give the printer model.
Give copious detail.