Re: console vga mode

> I want a higher console resolution, therefore I use vga=6 as a kerneloption.
> During system boot the resolution is set to the higher mode and then,
> just before the system is sone boting, the console resolution switches
> back to the default.

Actually what happens is that the default console settings are taking over.
I just sorted out this issue not so long ago thanks to this link:
http://www.dsl.org/cookbook/cookbook_20.html#SEC318
This is where you can learn how to try the different fonts available for the
console.
Then if you want to change the console configuration it is all in
/etc/console-tools/config
The config file is self documented, even if I haven't found out the hidden
meaning of SCREEN_FONT and APP_CHARSET. My file looks like this:
<code>
BLANK_TIME=30
BLANK_DPMS=off
POWERDOWN_TIME=30
APP_CHARSET_MAP=lat9-08
SCREEN_FONT=lat9-08
</code>
Be careful with the choice of your font, cause it may sometimes lead to funny
characters in emacs or a n-curses based application (especially the drawing of
the windows and stuff). It is my case and I believe this is linked to my
APP_CHARSET_MAP setting, which should be left to ISO-15 or sth.
Anyway, the most important is SCREEN_FONT. mine is 'lat9' (I'm French) with a
height of 8 instead of the usual 16. This is the way to obtain a 80x50
resolution.

make sure you have the console-tools package installed with the whole bunch of
fonts! they're supposed to be in /usr/share/consolefonts
my "lat9-08" stands for /usr/share/consolefonts/lat9-08.psf.gz, that's the way
to adress the fonts in the config file.

Hope I answered your question.

Vince.