console vga mode

And here comes the next problem.
I want a higher console resolution, therefore I use vga=6 as a kerneloption.
During system boot the resolution is set to the higher mode and then, just before the system is sone boting, the console resolution switches back to the default. What's going on? I searched through the whole of etc if there is a progrma that switches the resolution but there is nothing there (no call to fbset). Has anybody an idea what I have to do to get the vga mode I want (or better: to keep it ;-) )