Re: /etc/apt/preferences problem - might cause problems when Sarge goes stable!

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 03:21:47PM +0000, Ben Bettin wrote:
> I recently started using the /etc/apt/preferences file to get
> Firestarter from unstable into my testing install of Sarge.  My file
> follows:
>
> ----------
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 900
>
> Package: firestarter
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 1100
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release o=Debian
> Pin-Priority: -10
> ----------

Why mix o and a ?

> A few moments ago I updated my sources.list in preparation for Sarge
> going to stable.  I changed all references to 'testing' to 'sarge'.  I
> did this because I do NOT want to automatically upgrade to the new
> testing right away, I'll probably stick with Sarge for a few months
> after he goes stable.  I had to leave the nerim entry as testing and
> unstable because he doesn't appear to support the release names.  My
> sources.list follows:
>
> ----------
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sarge/non-US main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free
>
> deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ testing main
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sid/non-US main contrib non-free
>
> deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
> ----------
>
> After starting up aptitude I had to update my cache, but after that
> everything looked fine.  So I edited my /etc/apt/preferences and
> changed 'testing' to 'sarge' and 'unstable' to 'sid'.  When I started
> up aptitude and updated, things weren't right.

Where in man page say you can use release codename instead of archive
name.

| APT_PREFERENCES(5)                                          APT_PREFERENCES(5)
|

|        the Archive: line
|               names  the  archive  to  which all the packages in the directory
|               tree belong. For example, the line "Archive:  stable"  specifies
|               that  all of the packages in the directory tree below the parent
|               of the Release file are in a  stable  archive.  Specifying  this
|               value in the APT preferences file would require the line:
|

|               Pin: release a=stable

|        All of the Packages and Release files retrieved from  locations  listed
|        in   the   sources.list(5)   file   are   stored   in   the   directory
|        /var/lib/apt/lists,  or   in   the   file   named   by   the   variable
|        Dir::State::Lists   in   the  apt.conf  file.  For  example,  the  file
|        debian.lcs.mit.edu_debian_dists_unstable_contrib_binary-i386_Release
|        contains  the  Release  file retrieved from the site debian.lcs.mit.edu
|        for binary-i386 architecture files from the contrib  component  of  the
|        unstable distribution.

> The conclusion I came to is that /etc/apt/preferences doesn't support
> the release specific names (woody, sarge, sid, etc) and only the
> generic names (stable, testing, and unstable).  So I changed the
> entries in my preferences back to testing and unstable as listed
> above.

Good.

> It seems to me that the discrepency between /etc/apt/sources.list and

There you are pointing to directory name.  These directory name has also
symlink.  So both archive name and release code name works for
/etc/apt/sources.list.

But Release file looks like (read one form /var/lib/apt/lists/*):

Archive: testing
Component: contrib
Origin: Debian
Label: Debian
Architecture: i386

So we must use real Archive name for /etc/apt/preferences

> /etc/apt/preferences could cause some serious problems for people when
> Sarge goes stable, especially if they have mixed distros.  I don't
> have any automated updating, so I'll just have to remember to read the
> news before updating every day...that way I can alter the two files
> correctly before I update.  But for people that have scripts which
> automate the update process, they could get fubar'd.  Any thoughts?

So this is not the problem of having external package source but the way
you set up preferences.

Osamu