/etc/apt/preferences problem - might cause problems when Sarge goes stable!

I recently started using the /etc/apt/preferences file to get
Firestarter from unstable into my testing install of Sarge.  My file
follows:

----------
Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: firestarter
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 1100

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: -10
----------

A few moments ago I updated my sources.list in preparation for Sarge
going to stable.  I changed all references to 'testing' to 'sarge'.  I
did this because I do NOT want to automatically upgrade to the new
testing right away, I'll probably stick with Sarge for a few months
after he goes stable.  I had to leave the nerim entry as testing and
unstable because he doesn't appear to support the release names.  My
sources.list follows:

----------
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sarge/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ testing main

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sid/non-US main contrib non-free

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
----------

After starting up aptitude I had to update my cache, but after that
everything looked fine.  So I edited my /etc/apt/preferences and
changed 'testing' to 'sarge' and 'unstable' to 'sid'.  When I started
up aptitude and updated, things weren't right.  My installed packages
were listed fine under Installed Packages.  But under Uninstalled
Packages everything was listed, even the ones I have installed.  For
my installed packages they had their currently installed version
number, but <none> listed as their available version number.  All
uninstalled packages had <none> listed for both their available and
installed version numbers.

The conclusion I came to is that /etc/apt/preferences doesn't support
the release specific names (woody, sarge, sid, etc) and only the
generic names (stable, testing, and unstable).  So I changed the
entries in my preferences back to testing and unstable as listed
above.

It seems to me that the discrepency between /etc/apt/sources.list and
/etc/apt/preferences could cause some serious problems for people when
Sarge goes stable, especially if they have mixed distros.  I don't
have any automated updating, so I'll just have to remember to read the
news before updating every day...that way I can alter the two files
correctly before I update.  But for people that have scripts which
automate the update process, they could get fubar'd.  Any thoughts?

Ben