Re: What files in /etc must be writable?

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, William Ballard wrote:

> However, the liveCD had errors during boot, because some files
> apparently have to be writeable during boot.

what error messages ?? it tells you what it can't write to

> For example, I guess, /etc/mtab.

yup
and your hostname, ip# and gateway info ...

>  Does /etc/fstab have to be writeable?

nope

> What other files  need to be writeable?

most everything under /var/log /var/spool /var/run /var/tmp

lots of whacky stuff to turn off that uses /proc, /tmp

.. gazillion ittty-bitty files ...

just look at knoppix as what is symlink to memory
or turn off that feature or any other cdrom based distro that works
properly .. ( most don't .. ie.. i want a cd distro that allows
the cd to be popped out so that other apps can be loaded )

> I want to conserve every bit of space in the Ram disk possible.

memory is cheap compared to file-by-file analysis of what needs
to be writeable or not is gonna take more $$$ and time than
the memory

and if things are meant to be kept small ..

	boot off 8MB compact flash or floppy and have everything
	running on it or in (precious) memory

have fun
alvin