Re: Novice Questions

> 4) Lastly, I hope you will not mind me mentioning Knoppix but I have seen
> impressive screen shots of it while there are very few available for Debian.
> Knoppix however appears to be merely an introductory vehicle for Linux so my
> thinking is that I may as well skip it and instead go straight to the full
> capabilities of Debian even though it will likely involve considerable
> research before I can fully utilize it. Any thoughts for a novice about to
> venture into Debian?

Yes. I would suggest to directly install Debian without bothering
about knoppix. Knoppix is useful for seeing if a particular works with
linux or not. Knoppix has very good hardware detection capabilities.
But for long term usage, debian is the way to go.

You might be aware of this already. But I will mention it anyway. The
most easiest way to install debian is to download the net install
image (aroung 150 mb) and install a base system using that. Then
afterwards you can choose and install any additional packages at your
will.

The net install images can be found at http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

hth
raju