Re: Novice Questions

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 01:39:44PM -0500, Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:

> > 4) Lastly, I hope you will not mind me mentioning Knoppix but I have seen
> > impressive screen shots of it while there are very few available for Debian.
> > Knoppix however appears to be merely an introductory vehicle for Linux so my
> > thinking is that I may as well skip it and instead go straight to the full
> > capabilities of Debian even though it will likely involve considerable
> > research before I can fully utilize it. Any thoughts for a novice about to
> > venture into Debian?
>
> Yes. I would suggest to directly install Debian without bothering
> about knoppix. Knoppix is useful for seeing if a particular works with
> linux or not. Knoppix has very good hardware detection capabilities.
> But for long term usage, debian is the way to go.

Just an anecdote: On my most recent installation of Debian on hardware
with which I was unfamiliar, I attempted to use Knoppix to check out
the hardware. It did not install successfully, but I went on to try
NetInstall anyway and NetInstall worked.

It turns out it was kind of a pyrrhic victory because there was only
30 MB of RAM on the box and the intended use was User Desktop with
GUI. But NetInstall did work where Knoppix did not.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net