configuring Mozilla to recognise .php files

I'm trying to learn php and have written the first script from the book I've bought, but when I try to open it with Mozilla (1.7.3 under Debian linux) it doesn't recognise the .php extension so prompts for the application to use to open the file. I assume there's a configuration option I've not checked but can't find it. When I try to search mail archives or google for stuff about php I get a zillion hits because so many files out there on the net are php files, so far nothing to do with the problem I'm experiencing.

Anyone know how I tell Mozilla I want _it_ to open my .php file?

Thanks in advance
Rob Clack