Re: The Debian IRC channel

This is what actually happened:

00:42 -!- macon [~naim@pppoe1-dby.broadcom.dk] has joined #debian

01:24 macon> I have been using debian for about 4 years now, and I
             always found that people on this channel is kindda "rude"
             if one doesn't "it right away", tonight I was doing some
             work with Fedora Core 3 and I used there fedora channel
             and the linux channel and people was so friendly and
             helpful. I just want to say to all people here that it is
             important to stay patient and helpfull. Specially because
             Debian sometimes needs a bit more work to work :-)
01:25 macon> No need to freak out just because someone didn't find the
             info on the man page.
01:27 macon> less work to work, yeah well thats a matter of opinion ;)
             I love debian and use it a lot. But I just spend 2 days
             getting PPPoE up and I finally found that for some reason
             the stable version of pppoeconf didn't work right, so I
             used the unstable and no problems, tonight on fedora it
             took about 30 secs.
01:29 macon> I think that some peope think they are "specielly wise"
             just because they are using debian, and thus forgets to
             be friendly.
01:30 greycat> macon: I think some people are "specially annoying"
               just because they think they're friendlier than the
               rest of us.
01:31 macon> greycat: Ahh, so you are one of them :-) I figured you'd
             show up quick ;-)
01:32 directhex> macon, misery loves company. there are hundrefds of
                 really friendly fedora users just dying to tell you
                 thay they had a problem JUST LIKE the one you had,
                 but they never found a solution. tried looking on the
                 linuxquestions.org forum? nothing but simple
                 questions from fedora and mandrake users, who are
                 really unhelpful but certainly friendly
01:36 macon> I don't agree. The general spirit on fedora and Linux is
             much more friendly..
01:36 macon> anyone being here daily..
01:36 greycat> macon: then go there.
01:37 macon> Isn't people rude right away when people don't get an answer?
01:37 macon> I am getting a lot of pm from people who agree, and I
             think we should do something to change the atmosphere on
             this channel a bit!
01:38 MobyTurbo> macon: then start your own channel.
01:38 greycat> macon: then start #debian-friendly or something.
01:38 PerfDave> macon: Well, I'm getting a lot of pm from people who
                think you're a tit ;)
01:38 macon> No, thats not the solution.. the solution is to get the
             admin of this channel - since it is thew biggest to kick
             people who are rude off!
01:39 greycat> macon: please shut up.
01:39 petemc> macon: check the channel owner
01:39 PerfDave> macon: But the people who are less than entirely
                friendly are also the people who are most helpful and
                knowlegeable. Which is why they get to be so snarky,
                when confronted with comparative idiots all day and
                getting no reward for volunteering their services.
01:40 macon> PerfDave: Those very people are the ones who are stuckup
             with the nose high in the air completely not
             understanding the true spirit of debian!!
01:41 PerfDave> macon: and what is the "true spirit of Debian"? In
                which document of the Debian Project is it written?
01:41 macon> And they are also the ones contaminating debian community
01:41 greycat> macon: and what, o mighty knower of all that is right,
               is the "true spirit" of debian?
01:41 macon> Well you would know that if you didn't spend most of the
             time here being stuckup yourselfs.. check out the debian
             website.
01:42 -!- macon was kicked from #debian by caphuso [caphuso]
01:42 -!- mode/#debian [+b *!*@pppoe1-dby.broadcom.dk] by caphuso
--
Stephen Rüger
stephen.rueger@rechnerpost.org