Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows

William Ballard wrote:
On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 04:32:25PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:

advances.  Pretty much all the "Live CD" distros (Knoppix, Mepis,
Gnoppix, LNX-BBC, Damn Small Linux, etc.) automatically detect hardware
and configure themselves to it, booting to a desktop or command prompt
in a couple of minutes.

I think this may be "good marketing" rather than a super-true statement.

    No, it is a true statenment.  Let's not set up a straw man to knock down, ok?

Let's not fool ourselves that Knoppix boots every PC known to man.
These weren't wierd or super-old PCs.  They were just two representives
of the universe of PCs folks have.

He didn't say it would detect everything and work on everything. I think the fact that there are some things it might not detect is implied considering the statement was a comparison between the baseline, Debian, and the live distributions. The point wasn't that a live distribution will autodetect everything. The point was that a live CD will detect far more than the base, Debian, will and automatically configure itself to what it does detect far better than base Debian will.

For every anecdotal story of some hardware not being detected you'd have to conceed at least as many, if not more, anectodal stories of hardware that would be detected and configured.