Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows

on Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 08:00:17PM -0500, William Ballard (nospam_40811@alltel.net) wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 04:32:25PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > advances.  Pretty much all the "Live CD" distros (Knoppix, Mepis,
> > Gnoppix, LNX-BBC, Damn Small Linux, etc.) automatically detect hardware
> > and configure themselves to it, booting to a desktop or command prompt
> > in a couple of minutes.
>
> I think this may be "good marketing" rather than a super-true statement.
> The first time I took Knoppix (the latest/greatest at the time, about a
> month ago) to my brother-in-law's house, on his AMD 1800 it wouldn't even
> boot (didn't detect his cdrom) and on my nephew's PC the network card didn't
> work (a 3Com 3c59x, or 3c95x, some flavor like that which was less common;
> even windows doesn't come with drivers on board) nor did his Sound Blaster
> sound card work.
>
> Let's not fool ourselves that Knoppix boots every PC known to man.
> These weren't wierd or super-old PCs.  They were just two representives
> of the universe of PCs folks have.

Fair.  What I'd meant was "configures itself to the hardware...as best
it can".  Which is usually pretty good.  But the point being made:  the
detection occurs in a matter of a minute or so.  Fast.  And pretty
accurate.

My experience is that Knoppix boots to some degree on _most_ HW.  Not
always with 100% HW support (Centrino wireless and Fireware are two
components I've had not run).  Boot issues are often hardware, media, or
bad burns.  If the system is capable of booting from CDR, it should boot
Knoppix.  Try alternate disks if possible.

Peace.

    After a storm comes a calm.