beyond starting x

> tasksel helps a lot with this.  You're probably still missing a display
> manager from your Red Hat experience.  Since you're into KDE, I suggest
> kdm.  Though, being a GNOME geek, I also have to point out that GDM is
> much better ;-)
>
> --
> Best Regards,  | This signature is currently under construction.
>  Sebastian     | Please check back later!

Thank you all that helped me last night. I did an 'apt-get install kde
kdevelop kdelibs kdebase' and now the computer boots into an X logon screen
for kde. At this point I can run kpackage or apt-get and add other 'stuff'
and thats a good thing.

I admit that my experience is with RedHat, so I dont know yet how to change
back and forth between a text logon, a kde logon or a gnome logon in Debian.
So, I cannot get back to the startx prompt at this time to experiment. I
would enjoy experimenting with gnome versus kde versus text a bit as I am
doing all this on my experimental computer, so I have the time to poke
around. Unfortunately, my poking around for the last four years has all been
RedHat and not Debian, so my incantations and cheat sheet doesnt help a great
deal, only a little bit.

Charles