Re: starting x

On Saturday 18 December 2004 18:14, Sam Watkins wrote:
> startx is not part of the X server, it is in the package x-base-clients.
>
> You should:
>
>   apt-get install x-window-system-core
>
> or probably:
>
>   apt-get install x-window-system
>

> you can look at what each of these "meta packages" depends on with:
>
>   apt-cache show x-window-system-core
>
> you can see reverse dependencies with
>
>   apt-cache rdepends xterm
>
> you can find out what package contains a certain file with "apt-file":
>
>   apt-get install apt-file
>   apt-file search startx
>   apt-cache rdepends x-base-clients
>
> etc.
>

> good luck!

Dear Sam:
	Thank you very much for the tip. I did do a 'apt-get install
x-window-system', and a number of good things happened. I can now do a startx
and get twm. I can also right-click and get a tclsh8.4.

	Thats the good news. Unfortunately, being unfamiliar with apt-get yet, I dont
know how to get say kde or gnome up. I am currently trying:

apt-get install kde kdevelop kdelibs kdebase

after a search of archives and it seems to be working. After that, I wonder
what the incantation is to start kde and perhaps more importantly, where I
can go to figure out a few steps after that, other then googling.

Charles