[Fwd: Re: ilohamail]

Remember to CC: or To: the list.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: ilohamail
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:43:59 -0500
From: Tom Allison <tallison@tacocat.net>
To: David Mandelberg <mandelbergd@eth0.is-a-geek.org>

David Mandelberg wrote:
> Tom Allison wrote:
>
>>The Ilohamail site seems to be under some serious repairs so
>>documentation is limited.
>>
>>Can someone help me answer some simple questions about this?
>
> You should ask the questions instead of asking if you can ask. I'll try to
> answer what I think your questions might be.
>

>>Maildir support
>
> I think ilohamail uses IMAP or POP, so mailbox file format doesn't matter as
> long as it's supported by the IMAP/POP server (I use dovecot which supports Maildir)
>

>>Shared folders
>
> I don't think ilohamail supports them, but you could make a read only (can't
> send email) account that gets all shared stuff.

OK.
So I asked some really poorly thought out questions.

So, ilohamail is a IMAP/POP protocol interface to the mail server (like
dovecot which I also use).  That being the case, then all these
questions kind of fall into... "does dovecot support ...?"

I've been using squirrelmail which has something of an IMAP support
built into it, but I'm not sure it's that solid.  I have problems with
large mail folders (Multiple folders >1500 each) causing squirrelmail to
fail.  It's also a bit inconsistent with maildir locations, but that's
minor.  I don't believe it's pure IMAP in it's protocol.

Courier's webmail isn't at all IMAP protocol.  It's all file IO.

My "ideal" webmail application would talk only in IMAP so it wouldn't
care about server location, file locations, authentication models.....
As an example, mail clients (thunderbird) doesn't really have anything
to do for an IMAP server other than DNS, Username, Password.  I don't
have anything else to do in order from getting it working.  I like that.
You're initial response, while also being very forgiving, leads me in
the direction that Ilohamail may be more IMAP specific than squirrelmail.

Are you just teasing me?  ;)

--

David Mandelberg
mandelbergd@eth0.is-a-geek.org