Re: starting x

Hello

cfk (<cfk@pacbell.net>) wrote:

> Thank you very much for the tip. I did do a 'apt-get install
> x-window-system', and a number of good things happened. I can now do a
> startx and get twm. I can also right-click and get a tclsh8.4.
>
> Thats the good news. Unfortunately, being unfamiliar with apt-get yet,
> I dont know how to get say kde or gnome up. I am currently trying:
>
> apt-get install kde kdevelop kdelibs kdebase
>
> after a search of archives and it seems to be working. After that, I
> wonder what the incantation is to start kde and perhaps more
> importantly, where I can go to figure out a few steps after that,
> other then googling.

kde should be started by default and be preferred over twm if you run
startx. Anyway I suggest you install the KDE login manager kdm, which
lets you select which WM/DE you want to log into. There are also other
ways, like creating your own ~/.xsession and adding startkde (make sure
that allow-user-xsession is in your /etc/X11/Xsession.options), or
telling startx which command to run.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270