default sendmail config and munin sendmail plugins on unstable

Playing with munin on unstable. Trying to get the sendmail_mailstats
and sendmail_mailtraffic plugins to work.

These rely on the mailstats program.

mailstats returns the following:

MSP statistics...
mailstats: /var/lib/sendmail/sm-client.st: No such file or directory
MTA statistics...
mailstats: /var/lib/sendmail/sendmail.st: No such file or directory

Now - I took a look in (after a while grepping)

/usr/share/sendmail//cf/debian/sendmail.mc

where the line

./cf/debian/sendmail.mc:dnl undefine(`confHOST_STATUS_DIRECTORY')dnl        #DAEMON_HOSTSTATS=

appears. The update_conf script will therefore not enable statistics.

There has to be a reason for this - is it just because "most people
don't use it" ? Or am I heading for trouble (performance or otherwise)
if I start playing with this?

Oh - and if anyone has the stats running and can post the
sendmail.mc/submit.mc lines for it that'd save me hunting out the
packing case with the bat book in it :-) Not seen that one in a while.

Regards

--
Chris