Re: Realtek 8169 Drivers & i810 Audio Drivers

Byron Hillis wrote:

Hi list,

I'm currently running a custom-built 2.4.27, up-to-date kernel on a woody
base. I have a Gigabyte 7n400 Pro 2 Motherboard, I am a newbie and I have
two questions...

1) The Realtek 8169 Drivers detect my network card (which is an onboard
Realtek 8110S, supported by these drivers), and everything works fine until
I try to send any reasonable amount of data. Pings are cool, and a few web
pages, but then it just keeps locking up the machine in KDE...not hard lock,
just a freeze, wait a minute and then keep going. If I can get a terminal up
I can ifdown eth0 and then it stops freezing, so I know that's my problem. I
have googled and found out that this is a common problem...but no solution.
So, where do I go from here?

2) I use the i810 drivers for my Realtek onboard sound card, but it is
unreliable. i.e. Plays the KDE bootup sound but works intermittently in
tuxracer, sometimes music, sometimes music and sound and sometimes
nothing...and sometimes hard lock. Tuxracer occasionally tells me that the
drivers are buggy. I noticed that when I do a manual modprobe i810_audio
(without running the drivers at startup), I get told that it's working but
only at 16-bit 44100...which I think must be the problem. I am not using
ALSA, should I?

Thanks for your help, I have googled for a day and rebuilt my kernel about
14 times in the past 2 days...I think I'll end up just buying some Linux
supported add-on cards if there's no solutions...I really hate nVIDIA at the
moment, especially after fighting their custom, kernel-tainting install
scripts.

Byron

P.S. Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd give out all the details.

Byron Hillis

<INSERT RANDOM SAYING OR FUNNY PLAY ON WORDS>

short answer: go to pcconnection, pricewatch, newegg, whatever. disable that inferior on-board crap and slap some real cards in there.

all better. :-) unless you don't have tons of cash to spend. i got a linksys pci ethernet, soundblaster live 5.1, and ati 8500 for about $150.

my debian os and linux kernel are very happy now.

:-)