Re: dist-upgrade to sarge

Jianan wrote:
> I was able to use the sarge cd #1 to do a dist-upgrade. I mounted the cd
> with  mount /dev/hdc -t iso9660 /mnt

Normally we use "apt-cdrom add". Mounting is then automatic.

> No matter where I click the mouse within the window, the screen goes blank
> and stays blank.

Mouse related problems can be caused by several things, like using the
wrong protocol or by using gpm improperly. "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86"

> I have to do a alt-ctrl-f1 to get back to command-line mode. I wanted to
> re-do a dist-upgrade. But when I try to mount the cd using the same
> command as above, it failed , saying the kernel does not support iso9660
> filesystem!

Maybe it was built as a module and it isn't being loaded. Try adding
"iso9660" to the end of /etc/modules so it installs at boot time. You
can install it manually with "insmod iso9660".

> I noticed that I am still booting up in 2.6.3 kernel eventhough sarge is
> supposed to use 2.6.8.

Believe it or not, that's a good thing. If you want to run 2.6.8, then
install it:  apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.8