Re: Firestarter for Testing (Sarge)?

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 09:53:42PM +0000, Ben Bettin wrote:

> I also had to adjust my /etc/apt/sources.list to include the unstable
> repositories so that I could get the packages.  Here's my new
> sources.list:

<...>

> So in the future when firestarter makes it into testing, I'll first
> PURGE firestarter.  Then adjust my /etc/apt/preferences to remove the
> second block, and adjust /etc/apt/sources.list to remove the unstable
> repositories.  Then startup aptitude and clear the package listing,
> update to get a new list from my new sources.list, then install the
> testing version of firestarter.

Actually, there should be no need to do all that.  Probably, when (and
if) firestarter reappears in Testing, it will either be this version
itself or an updated version of this package, so it should pick it up
as is and go from there.

As a matter of fact, if you prefer to not have Unstable in your
sources.list, after installing the unstable version of firestarter, you
should be able to remove the references to unstable in your sources.list
now.  If you use deslect or the interactive version of aptitude, it will
probably list firestarter as "obsolete" or something like that, but it
won't bother it (until a newer version comes into Testing).

BTW.. if you're curious about what is going on with firestarter in
Testing, you might go to the bugtracking page and look there.  It might
have some information.  I didn't do this myself.