Installation shadows: where is mkinitrd ?

Hi all,
I am installing a sarge with uml; everything works well until kernel
installation, then it tries to start mkinitrd.
I get something like: uml device is not a valid block device.
I wanted to bypass the problem commenting out some lines of mkinitrd
script, but I cannot find it in the ram mounted filesystem, I can't
understand since I see an error message in console3 coming from, at
least apparently, mkinitrd.
I also tried to grep -r mkinitrd through the whole filesystem (not when
the installation is running, just mounted as loop device): I found no
lines containing mkinitrd, so where does the reference to mkinitrd comes
from ?
thanks

--
Andrea Tasso <andrea@tasso.info> (http://andrea.tasso.info)