Re: FAT32 (was: dual-OS system)

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 04:12:35PM +0000, Daniel Goldsmith wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:44:40 +0000, David Dorward <dorward@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Daniel Goldsmith wrote:

[...]
> > > o Why were the dos/win filesystem supports removed from Sarge's
> > > kernels?
> >
> > They aren't, as far as I know. Being a module doesn't prevent the kernel
> > accessing them; AFAIK the modules will be loaded automatically when
> > mount attempts to mount a vfat partition.
>
> Hmmm - an older thread on debian-user mentions /etc/filesystem for the
> auto mounting usage. That may be my problem - the Sarge install
> doesn't appear to have created an /etc/filsesystem.

This is only needed for auto mounting if the kernel needs to load a
module. If the module is compiled in, or *already* loaded, the kernel
should try that fs type.

You say you have loaded vfat and *still* the kernel doesn't recognize
the fat32 partition?  So "$/sbin/lsmod" shows vfat support?  What about
fat support (it should be auto loaded when vfat is loaded)?

If these two are loaded your kernel should mount the partition.

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.