Re: Wlan adapter

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Gerard Ceraso wrote:

> I have broadcom wireless built into my laptop and I am using NdisWrapper
> with the drivers from windows, everything has been working fine. You can
> get some more information here http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/.

as long as you have specific requirements, of the wlan, you have
to do some homework

some things ndis wrapper does not support, iircc ..
	- it cannot be an "AP", because MS is not "allowed"
	by their buddies that do make consumer ap
	- it does not(?) support monitor mode for sniffing

some drivers does NOT support wpa
	- if you do want wpa, you have to find a madwifi or hostap
	based chipset

if you want to wireless sniff traffic, you need to fnd one that
supports "monitor" mode
	- madwifi drivers works

if you want to run in adhoc mode ..
	- you should make up your mind, if you're an AP or client
	- madwifi does NOT support adhoc mode

- which drivers supports which wifi cards

	http://www.linux-wireless.org/Wireless/Drivers/
	( see the list of hw under each driver )

	http://madwifi.net/

c ya
alvin