Re: What will happens when sarge becomes stable?

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 10:44:05AM -0600, Jeremy Turner wrote:
> Short answer: dist-upgrade will install new packages when required,
> upgrade only upgrades the package itself.

Ah, I get it now. Thanks. Of course it's right there in the docs...
/usr/share/doc/Debian/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html, especially section
3.4. In case of new dependencies of an already installed package "it's
sufficient to run apt-get install for the specific package in
question, as this will download the dependencies. An even cleaner
solution is to use dist-upgrade. See section Upgrading to a new
release, Section 3.5."

I guess dist-upgrade was introduced to facilitate an upgrade to a new
distribution, but then people found out that it could be useful in the
day to day upgrading as well.

For the stable distribution no new dependencies will be introduced so
apt-get upgrade seems fine there, though the dist-upgrade won't
hurt. I use dselect on my home machine with the testing distro. That
handles it just fine. But I'll be doing a dist-upgrade shortly on a
server I'm handling. Thanks for the heads-up.

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill