OT [SOLVED] Who owns the damn Bible

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 02:43:34AM -0500, William Ballard wrote:
> but apparently Mr. "I Love Windows, Porn, and the Bible" Zaine is the
> only person who has the Oxford commentaries (the stuff at the start of
> each Book of the Bible).

The National Coalition of Churches, USA (the folks that brought you "Oh
Davey") are the ones that "own" the rights to the NRSV.

They license the rights to it to several publishers:
http://www.ncccusa.org/newbtu/publish.html

Oxford University Press sells it on CD-ROM:
http://www.ncccusa.org/newbtu/nrsvtypes.html#anchorep

Zaine has apparently lifted the e-text of the Oxford commentary from the
Oxford CD-ROMs and has published it on his website.  With or without
permisison of Oxford, or whether they know about it or care, is
debatable.  What is clear is that in addition to Bibles he sure likes
Windows and Porn.

What is finally unclear about this is whether the "Oh Davey" folks
and Oxford care if people do things with the Bible as long as they
don't charge money.  Oxford gives away the 1971 "RSV" (as opposed
to the 1989 "NRSV") on a website.  Maybe they're like the Grateful
Dead and don't care if you trade it in "the community" as long as
you don't charge money for it.