Re: Hardware hassles: Linux vs. Windows

Robert Parker wrote:
My son installed the next but latest Suse. It does just work so far as it is concerned but it will give trouble if you are dual booting Windows. It leaves the Windows partition unbootable because it rewrites the CHS record to something Windows doesn't like. Likewise Fedora 2. Can't comment on the latest Suse or Fedora I'm afraid.

You can work around the above. Set up your partitions including initialising the file systems using Mandrake + cfdisk. Then install the other distro.

The problem was one with specific version of the 2.6 kernel.  It has
since been fixed.  If you do a quick google search for it, you will
find that there is a specific parameter you can pass at boot to the
kernel so that it will not monkey with the hard disk geometry.

-Roberto Sanchez