Re: ALSA sound gone since kernel update

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:30:12 +0100, John van Spaandonk wrote:
> I used apt-get install (sid) to update the kernel to the
> newest 2.4.27-1-686-smp
>
> Now the ALSA modules do not load anymore.
> update-modules says
>
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols
> in /lib/modules/2.4.27-1-686-smp/updates/alsa/snd-mpu401.o
> for lots of snd-* alsa modules.

This problem has already been reported as a bug

    http://bugs.debian.org/284356

> I guess that I also need a new alsa-modules package with the new kernel,
> however this is not on the server yet (waited a few days before complaining
> here)

The fault lies with the kernel-image package: its symbol version suffixes
changed from one Debian revision to the next, which should not happen.
(This breaks most modules compiled for that kernel image.)

> I would like to try to install the previous kernel but have deleted
> it while cleaning up the local package cache :-(
>
> Do you agree to this analysis?
> If yes, can somebody point me to a previous 2.4 kernel package/
> Will the alsa-modules be upgraded too?

Either alsa-modules* will be upgraded or new kernel-image-2.4.27 packages
will be released that contains kernels with the old symbol version
suffixes.

In the meantime you can build your own alsa-modules package from the
sources shipped in the alsa-source package using the make-kpkg utility
(provided in the kernel-package package).

--
Thomas Hood