Dell XPS gen 3 trouble

Hi,

After struggling with the onboard sata controller, on my brand new Dell XPS gen
3 at work, I finally got Debian booted and installed, using debian-installer
rc2. Unfortunately, a few kinks remain to be ironed out:

1) The Dell XPS comes with two 160 GB sata drives, which are only usable from
Linux when configured for pata access[1]. I have been unable to enable DMA[2] on
the disks, which is obviously detrimental to performance. Any suggestions as to
how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

2) I am unable to boot the latest 2.6 kernel[3] as distributed in debian
unstable. The boot proceeds nicely, until detecting the second disk, after
which it just sits there. No kernel panic, nothing, it just sits there. The
keyboard is still active (ie. anything typed appears on screen) but nothing
happens.

I've been googling for answers quite a bit, but it seems the XPS gen 3 is still
too new for anything useful to have been indexed.

Anyway, uggestions are welcomed.
Thanks.

[1]
from dmesg:
hda: attached ide-disk driver.
hda: 312581808 sectors (160042 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=19457/255/63

[2]
# hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

[3]
2.6.9-1-386

--
Søren O.                                           ,''`.
                                                   : :' :