ALSA sound gone since kernel update

I used apt-get install (sid) to update the kernel to the
newest 2.4.27-1-686-smp

Now the ALSA modules do not load anymore
update-modules says

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols
in /lib/modules/2.4.27-1-686-smp/updates/alsa/snd-mpu401.o
for lots of snd-* alsa modules.

I guess that I also need a new alsa-modules package with the new kernel,
however this is not on the server yet (waited a few days before complaining
here)
I would like to try to install the previous kernel but have deleted
it while cleaning up the local package cache :-(

Do you agree to this analysis?
If yes, can somebody point me to a previous 2.4 kernel package/
Will the alsa-modules be upgraded too?

Thx,

John